Health: We recently took Henry to a paediatrician for his 2 year checkup. Being in the US, the vaccination schedule is very different, which meant poor Henry was due for 5 injections. I was a nervous wreck in the waiting room, almost on the edge of tears, but much to our relief, Henry simply let out a surprised 'ooh!' and arched his back each time the nurse inserted a needle. There were no tears from him at all, and he was overjoyed with his lollipop and superhero plasters which he received afterwards. As we left, he even exclaimed, 'doctor, fun!' much to our amazement! We were so proud of our brave little boy.
Weight/Height: 35" tall and 28lbs - 91st centile for height and 50th for weight
Sleep: Still a solid 12 hours sleep each night and an afternoon nap. Matt's parents recently came to stay for a week and Henry refused to nap AT ALL, which was a nightmare and resulted in a lot of tantrums from an exhausted little boy. Thankfully he went right back to having his usual 2 hour nap once they'd left. Phew - this pregnant mama needs that daily nap as much as Henry!
Likes: Henry adores monster trucks, police cars, ambulances and fire trucks. He loves to chase other children and has fits of giggles as he does so. He loves going to the park and especially going down the slides. Playgroup and the library are favorite places of his to visit and he recently started a weekly football class which he attends with daddy on the weekend, which fulfills his love for running really fast! He's still smitten for babies and always smiles and says, 'awww' when he sees one!
Milestones: We unexpectedly started potty training a few months ago. We thought we'd buy one to have around the house so Henry could get used to it, but he showed so much interest that we told him what it was for and read a few books about it together, and lo and behold, he started to use it! He seems to have lost interest for the time being, and we don't want to push it on him, so we'll wait a few months before trying properly.
Henry's speech is developing so rapidly that I can't keep up, he's learning multiple new words every day, repeats everything and he's stringing together more and more words into three or four word sentences. He can now count to seven and name a few letters of the alphabet, which is so endearing to hear.
We finally transitioned him out of using a sleeping bag for naps and bedtime, but he only used a pillow and blanket a handful of times before refusing to sleep with them, so it's simply PJ's to keep him warm for now. We're hoping to make the move to a toddler bed soon, but we'll wait until after the baby is born so there's not much too much change at once.
The little things we love:
- When I sneeze and he calls out, 'bless mama.'
- The way we wait for daddy to return from work and Henry always greets him with such delight - a loud shriek, an exclamation of 'dada!' as he runs to the door and a giant hug.
- When we're enjoying a cuddle and he turns to me and says 'ohh, mama,' as he snuggles up even closer.
- How I can be spend just a few minutes away from him and he greets me with a huge grin and hugs and kisses when I return, as if he's not seen me for days!
- The way he leans in really close to my face, and with a naughty smile and holding his hands to his lips, whispers 'caaake!'
- Those beautiful blonde curls and big blue eyes - he's our little angel