Shabby to Chic - Upcycled Display Cabinet


I love to peruse eBay in search of local second hand furniture. When I stumbled upon this wooden display cabinet, complete with glass shelving and a spacious cupboard, I couldn't resist bidding within the last few seconds of the auction, hoping for a bargain. Luckily, I was the highest bidder and became the proud owner for just £50.

As with all my upcycling projects,  I started with a coat of Annie Sloan Paint in Old White. It's when I'm dealing with large pieces of furniture like this one that I'm extra thankful for the likes of chalk paint. No need to spend hours sanding and prepping the wood, just slap the paint on!

I didn't want the cabinet to be too white, so I decided on a slightly more cream topcoat. There are slim pickings when it comes to paint specifically designed for wood or furniture. Those that are available are usually a gloss or satin finish, and I was looking for something more matt. As much as I love Farrow and Ball, at £50 a tin, it seemed ridiculous to pay the same amount for paint as I had for the cabinet! In the end, I opted for Dairy Farm by Dulux's Authentic Origins Range, which was half the price of its pricier competitors. As it's been designed for use on walls, it was a lot thinner than I would have liked, so I needed two coats to get the right coverage and finish.


These kind of display cabinets are on sale for around a whopping £1200 on the Laura Ashley site, so I'm delighted to have sourced one for just £50. The glass shelves are perfect for displaying knick knacks and trinkets, whilst the cupboard and drawer below are ideal for storing my burgeoning craft collection. Scraps of fabric, buttons and embellishments now all have a home. 


I love how this cabinet turned out. It's a solid and well crafted piece of furniture so I'm sure we will get plenty of use out of it over the years. I'm looking forward to moving to a bigger house in the near future, when this grand cabinet can get the spacious room it deserves. But until then, it's nestled in the alcove.

Take a peek at my other upcycling projects…

~ Upcycled Wooden Highchair
~ Upcycled Nest of Tables
~ Upcycled Vintage Telephone Table
~ Upcycled Welsh Dresser & Bar Stools


Follow on Bloglovin   

TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST

Labels: , , , , , , ,